A dual-center evaluation of platelet culture vials to detect the presence of microorganisms in platelets

Gerald Denys, Anagha Tulpule, Jessica Roth, Patty Warns, Tiffany Collins, Susan Mindel

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

BACKGROUND: Microorganism contamination of platelets results in a high risk of transfusion-related sepsis. Here, the ability of culture vials (BD BACTEC Platelet Aerobic/F and Platelet Anaerobic/F vials, Becton, Dickinson and Company) to detect microorganisms in leukoreduced apheresis platelets (LRAPs) and leukoreduced whole blood platelet concentrates (LRWBPCs) was assessed. METHODS: LRAPs or LRWBPCs were inoculated into Aerobic/F and Anaerobic/F vials and placed in a blood culturing system (BD BACTEC FX System, Becton, Dickinson and Company) for growth/monitoring over 7 days to detect preexisting contamination during false-positive testing. Subsequently, platelets were seeded with microorganisms at approximately 10 CFU/mL or approximately 1 CFU/mL to simulate contamination. Aerobic/F and Anaerobic/F vials were inoculated with platelets (sets of 12). Microorganism growth was detected in the BACTEC FX instrument over 7 days. Overall, 2925 vials were tested. RESULTS: Of the 1905 vials included in the microorganism detection phase, 63 (3.3%) Aerobic/F and 16 (0.8%) Anaerobic/F vials were both BACTEC FX and subculture negative. From the remaining 1827 vials, two (0.1%) Anaerobic/F vials were false positive; no false positives were observed in Aerobic/F vials, and no false negatives occurred in either vial type. Of the remaining 1825 vials (99.9%), 955 Aerobic/F and 870 Anaerobic/F vials were true positives. The mean-time-to-detection range was 8.5 to 77 hours. All true-positive Aerobic/F and Anaerobic/F vials showed 100% agreement with subculture for positive identification of seeded microorganisms. CONCLUSION: Aerobic/F and Anaerobic/F vials facilitate contamination detection in LRAPs and LRWBPCs down to approximately 1 CFU/mL. These results support the use of Aerobic/F and Anaerobic/F vials for quality control testing of platelets before transfusion.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)126-132
Number of pages7
JournalTransfusion
Volume60
Issue number1
DOIs
StatePublished - Jan 1 2020

Fingerprint

Blood Platelets
Blood Component Removal
Platelet Transfusion
Growth
Quality Control
Sepsis

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Immunology and Allergy
  • Immunology
  • Hematology

Cite this

A dual-center evaluation of platelet culture vials to detect the presence of microorganisms in platelets. / Denys, Gerald; Tulpule, Anagha; Roth, Jessica; Warns, Patty; Collins, Tiffany; Mindel, Susan.

In: Transfusion, Vol. 60, No. 1, 01.01.2020, p. 126-132.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Denys, Gerald ; Tulpule, Anagha ; Roth, Jessica ; Warns, Patty ; Collins, Tiffany ; Mindel, Susan. / A dual-center evaluation of platelet culture vials to detect the presence of microorganisms in platelets. In: Transfusion. 2020 ; Vol. 60, No. 1. pp. 126-132.
@article{a2e59b887104419aba2e43794785e0a8,
title = "A dual-center evaluation of platelet culture vials to detect the presence of microorganisms in platelets",
abstract = "BACKGROUND: Microorganism contamination of platelets results in a high risk of transfusion-related sepsis. Here, the ability of culture vials (BD BACTEC Platelet Aerobic/F and Platelet Anaerobic/F vials, Becton, Dickinson and Company) to detect microorganisms in leukoreduced apheresis platelets (LRAPs) and leukoreduced whole blood platelet concentrates (LRWBPCs) was assessed. METHODS: LRAPs or LRWBPCs were inoculated into Aerobic/F and Anaerobic/F vials and placed in a blood culturing system (BD BACTEC FX System, Becton, Dickinson and Company) for growth/monitoring over 7 days to detect preexisting contamination during false-positive testing. Subsequently, platelets were seeded with microorganisms at approximately 10 CFU/mL or approximately 1 CFU/mL to simulate contamination. Aerobic/F and Anaerobic/F vials were inoculated with platelets (sets of 12). Microorganism growth was detected in the BACTEC FX instrument over 7 days. Overall, 2925 vials were tested. RESULTS: Of the 1905 vials included in the microorganism detection phase, 63 (3.3{\%}) Aerobic/F and 16 (0.8{\%}) Anaerobic/F vials were both BACTEC FX and subculture negative. From the remaining 1827 vials, two (0.1{\%}) Anaerobic/F vials were false positive; no false positives were observed in Aerobic/F vials, and no false negatives occurred in either vial type. Of the remaining 1825 vials (99.9{\%}), 955 Aerobic/F and 870 Anaerobic/F vials were true positives. The mean-time-to-detection range was 8.5 to 77 hours. All true-positive Aerobic/F and Anaerobic/F vials showed 100{\%} agreement with subculture for positive identification of seeded microorganisms. CONCLUSION: Aerobic/F and Anaerobic/F vials facilitate contamination detection in LRAPs and LRWBPCs down to approximately 1 CFU/mL. These results support the use of Aerobic/F and Anaerobic/F vials for quality control testing of platelets before transfusion.",
author = "Gerald Denys and Anagha Tulpule and Jessica Roth and Patty Warns and Tiffany Collins and Susan Mindel",
year = "2020",
month = "1",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1111/trf.15583",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "60",
pages = "126--132",
journal = "Transfusion",
issn = "0041-1132",
publisher = "Wiley-Blackwell",
number = "1",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - A dual-center evaluation of platelet culture vials to detect the presence of microorganisms in platelets

AU - Denys, Gerald

AU - Tulpule, Anagha

AU - Roth, Jessica

AU - Warns, Patty

AU - Collins, Tiffany

AU - Mindel, Susan

PY - 2020/1/1

Y1 - 2020/1/1

N2 - BACKGROUND: Microorganism contamination of platelets results in a high risk of transfusion-related sepsis. Here, the ability of culture vials (BD BACTEC Platelet Aerobic/F and Platelet Anaerobic/F vials, Becton, Dickinson and Company) to detect microorganisms in leukoreduced apheresis platelets (LRAPs) and leukoreduced whole blood platelet concentrates (LRWBPCs) was assessed. METHODS: LRAPs or LRWBPCs were inoculated into Aerobic/F and Anaerobic/F vials and placed in a blood culturing system (BD BACTEC FX System, Becton, Dickinson and Company) for growth/monitoring over 7 days to detect preexisting contamination during false-positive testing. Subsequently, platelets were seeded with microorganisms at approximately 10 CFU/mL or approximately 1 CFU/mL to simulate contamination. Aerobic/F and Anaerobic/F vials were inoculated with platelets (sets of 12). Microorganism growth was detected in the BACTEC FX instrument over 7 days. Overall, 2925 vials were tested. RESULTS: Of the 1905 vials included in the microorganism detection phase, 63 (3.3%) Aerobic/F and 16 (0.8%) Anaerobic/F vials were both BACTEC FX and subculture negative. From the remaining 1827 vials, two (0.1%) Anaerobic/F vials were false positive; no false positives were observed in Aerobic/F vials, and no false negatives occurred in either vial type. Of the remaining 1825 vials (99.9%), 955 Aerobic/F and 870 Anaerobic/F vials were true positives. The mean-time-to-detection range was 8.5 to 77 hours. All true-positive Aerobic/F and Anaerobic/F vials showed 100% agreement with subculture for positive identification of seeded microorganisms. CONCLUSION: Aerobic/F and Anaerobic/F vials facilitate contamination detection in LRAPs and LRWBPCs down to approximately 1 CFU/mL. These results support the use of Aerobic/F and Anaerobic/F vials for quality control testing of platelets before transfusion.

AB - BACKGROUND: Microorganism contamination of platelets results in a high risk of transfusion-related sepsis. Here, the ability of culture vials (BD BACTEC Platelet Aerobic/F and Platelet Anaerobic/F vials, Becton, Dickinson and Company) to detect microorganisms in leukoreduced apheresis platelets (LRAPs) and leukoreduced whole blood platelet concentrates (LRWBPCs) was assessed. METHODS: LRAPs or LRWBPCs were inoculated into Aerobic/F and Anaerobic/F vials and placed in a blood culturing system (BD BACTEC FX System, Becton, Dickinson and Company) for growth/monitoring over 7 days to detect preexisting contamination during false-positive testing. Subsequently, platelets were seeded with microorganisms at approximately 10 CFU/mL or approximately 1 CFU/mL to simulate contamination. Aerobic/F and Anaerobic/F vials were inoculated with platelets (sets of 12). Microorganism growth was detected in the BACTEC FX instrument over 7 days. Overall, 2925 vials were tested. RESULTS: Of the 1905 vials included in the microorganism detection phase, 63 (3.3%) Aerobic/F and 16 (0.8%) Anaerobic/F vials were both BACTEC FX and subculture negative. From the remaining 1827 vials, two (0.1%) Anaerobic/F vials were false positive; no false positives were observed in Aerobic/F vials, and no false negatives occurred in either vial type. Of the remaining 1825 vials (99.9%), 955 Aerobic/F and 870 Anaerobic/F vials were true positives. The mean-time-to-detection range was 8.5 to 77 hours. All true-positive Aerobic/F and Anaerobic/F vials showed 100% agreement with subculture for positive identification of seeded microorganisms. CONCLUSION: Aerobic/F and Anaerobic/F vials facilitate contamination detection in LRAPs and LRWBPCs down to approximately 1 CFU/mL. These results support the use of Aerobic/F and Anaerobic/F vials for quality control testing of platelets before transfusion.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=85076002629&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=85076002629&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1111/trf.15583

DO - 10.1111/trf.15583

M3 - Article

C2 - 31769032

AN - SCOPUS:85076002629

VL - 60

SP - 126

EP - 132

JO - Transfusion

JF - Transfusion

SN - 0041-1132

IS - 1

ER -