Clinical experience with the Greenfield filter in 193 patients and description of a new technique for operative insertion

T. M. Sullivan, B. D. Martinez, Gary Lemmon, P. M. Clark, R. A. Schwartz, B. Bondy

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

18 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Transvenous inferior vena cava (IVC) interruption using the Greenfield filter was performed upon 193 patients from January 1982 to December 1988. Placement of a filter in the IVC was indicated for prophylaxis (23.8 percent), contraindication to anticoagulation (22.8 percent), pulmonary embolism despite anticoagulation (18.7 percent), complications of anticoagulation (26.9 percent) and free-floating thrombus (7.8 percent). Filters were placed in an infrarenal location in 92 percent of the patients. The remaining 8 percent of patients had placement of a suprarenal filter for specific indications, without complication. Most (97.4 percent) of the patients had filters placed through internal jugular or femoral vein cutdown. Five patients required filter placement through a retroperitoneal approach to the right common iliac vein and IVC junction. This new technique of filter insertion is described. The operative morbidity rate was 4.7 percent, with an additional 8.8 percent having postoperative thrombotic complications. The 30 day operative mortality rate (6.7 percent) was related to preexisting associated disease. Nonfatal, late, recurrent pulmonary embolism occurred in 2.6 percent of the patients despite filter placement. Caval patency remains at 97.9 percent in long term follow-up evaluation. The Greenfield filter is an effective and safe adjunct in the treatment of venous thromboembolic disease and a satisfactory prophylactic measure in specific high-risk patients.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)117-122
Number of pages6
JournalJournal of the American College of Surgeons
Volume178
Issue number2
StatePublished - 1994
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Inferior Vena Cava
Pulmonary Embolism
Venous Cutdown
Vena Cava Filters
Iliac Vein
Venae Cavae
Preexisting Condition Coverage
Femoral Vein
Jugular Veins
Thrombosis
Morbidity
Mortality
Therapeutics

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Surgery

Cite this

Clinical experience with the Greenfield filter in 193 patients and description of a new technique for operative insertion. / Sullivan, T. M.; Martinez, B. D.; Lemmon, Gary; Clark, P. M.; Schwartz, R. A.; Bondy, B.

In: Journal of the American College of Surgeons, Vol. 178, No. 2, 1994, p. 117-122.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Sullivan, T. M. ; Martinez, B. D. ; Lemmon, Gary ; Clark, P. M. ; Schwartz, R. A. ; Bondy, B. / Clinical experience with the Greenfield filter in 193 patients and description of a new technique for operative insertion. In: Journal of the American College of Surgeons. 1994 ; Vol. 178, No. 2. pp. 117-122.
@article{4c032bb06b8245abb6d2c290a0e3e322,
title = "Clinical experience with the Greenfield filter in 193 patients and description of a new technique for operative insertion",
abstract = "Transvenous inferior vena cava (IVC) interruption using the Greenfield filter was performed upon 193 patients from January 1982 to December 1988. Placement of a filter in the IVC was indicated for prophylaxis (23.8 percent), contraindication to anticoagulation (22.8 percent), pulmonary embolism despite anticoagulation (18.7 percent), complications of anticoagulation (26.9 percent) and free-floating thrombus (7.8 percent). Filters were placed in an infrarenal location in 92 percent of the patients. The remaining 8 percent of patients had placement of a suprarenal filter for specific indications, without complication. Most (97.4 percent) of the patients had filters placed through internal jugular or femoral vein cutdown. Five patients required filter placement through a retroperitoneal approach to the right common iliac vein and IVC junction. This new technique of filter insertion is described. The operative morbidity rate was 4.7 percent, with an additional 8.8 percent having postoperative thrombotic complications. The 30 day operative mortality rate (6.7 percent) was related to preexisting associated disease. Nonfatal, late, recurrent pulmonary embolism occurred in 2.6 percent of the patients despite filter placement. Caval patency remains at 97.9 percent in long term follow-up evaluation. The Greenfield filter is an effective and safe adjunct in the treatment of venous thromboembolic disease and a satisfactory prophylactic measure in specific high-risk patients.",
author = "Sullivan, {T. M.} and Martinez, {B. D.} and Gary Lemmon and Clark, {P. M.} and Schwartz, {R. A.} and B. Bondy",
year = "1994",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "178",
pages = "117--122",
journal = "Journal of the American College of Surgeons",
issn = "1072-7515",
publisher = "Elsevier Inc.",
number = "2",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Clinical experience with the Greenfield filter in 193 patients and description of a new technique for operative insertion

AU - Sullivan, T. M.

AU - Martinez, B. D.

AU - Lemmon, Gary

AU - Clark, P. M.

AU - Schwartz, R. A.

AU - Bondy, B.

PY - 1994

Y1 - 1994

N2 - Transvenous inferior vena cava (IVC) interruption using the Greenfield filter was performed upon 193 patients from January 1982 to December 1988. Placement of a filter in the IVC was indicated for prophylaxis (23.8 percent), contraindication to anticoagulation (22.8 percent), pulmonary embolism despite anticoagulation (18.7 percent), complications of anticoagulation (26.9 percent) and free-floating thrombus (7.8 percent). Filters were placed in an infrarenal location in 92 percent of the patients. The remaining 8 percent of patients had placement of a suprarenal filter for specific indications, without complication. Most (97.4 percent) of the patients had filters placed through internal jugular or femoral vein cutdown. Five patients required filter placement through a retroperitoneal approach to the right common iliac vein and IVC junction. This new technique of filter insertion is described. The operative morbidity rate was 4.7 percent, with an additional 8.8 percent having postoperative thrombotic complications. The 30 day operative mortality rate (6.7 percent) was related to preexisting associated disease. Nonfatal, late, recurrent pulmonary embolism occurred in 2.6 percent of the patients despite filter placement. Caval patency remains at 97.9 percent in long term follow-up evaluation. The Greenfield filter is an effective and safe adjunct in the treatment of venous thromboembolic disease and a satisfactory prophylactic measure in specific high-risk patients.

AB - Transvenous inferior vena cava (IVC) interruption using the Greenfield filter was performed upon 193 patients from January 1982 to December 1988. Placement of a filter in the IVC was indicated for prophylaxis (23.8 percent), contraindication to anticoagulation (22.8 percent), pulmonary embolism despite anticoagulation (18.7 percent), complications of anticoagulation (26.9 percent) and free-floating thrombus (7.8 percent). Filters were placed in an infrarenal location in 92 percent of the patients. The remaining 8 percent of patients had placement of a suprarenal filter for specific indications, without complication. Most (97.4 percent) of the patients had filters placed through internal jugular or femoral vein cutdown. Five patients required filter placement through a retroperitoneal approach to the right common iliac vein and IVC junction. This new technique of filter insertion is described. The operative morbidity rate was 4.7 percent, with an additional 8.8 percent having postoperative thrombotic complications. The 30 day operative mortality rate (6.7 percent) was related to preexisting associated disease. Nonfatal, late, recurrent pulmonary embolism occurred in 2.6 percent of the patients despite filter placement. Caval patency remains at 97.9 percent in long term follow-up evaluation. The Greenfield filter is an effective and safe adjunct in the treatment of venous thromboembolic disease and a satisfactory prophylactic measure in specific high-risk patients.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0028346068&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0028346068&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

C2 - 8173720

AN - SCOPUS:0028346068

VL - 178

SP - 117

EP - 122

JO - Journal of the American College of Surgeons

JF - Journal of the American College of Surgeons

SN - 1072-7515

IS - 2

ER -