Completing the circle: Follow-up screening of STD patients in three clinics of the united states indian health service

B. Reilley, J. T. Redd, S. Giberson, S. Sunde, T. Cullen

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

1 Scopus citations

Abstract

We reviewed charts of newly diagnosed STD patients in three health facilities to determine the proportion who received follow-up STD screening. In a 12-month period, the three facilities had 140 STD cases. STD screening was not indicated for 50 (36%) patients. Among the 90 remaining STD patients, 29 (32%) were screened and 61 (68%) not screened. Among non-screened patients, 36% (22/61) were tested, but outside the time parameters allowed by the audit. The remaining 64% (39/61) received no screening at all, and represented clinical missed opportunities; in this group, nearly all (95%) had chlamydia but were not screened for HIV or syphilis. Linking chlamydia patients with a screen for HIV and syphilis using a clinical reminder in the facilities' electronic health record (EHR) or other tool, would eliminate 95% of the missed opportunities in this sample.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)50-51
Number of pages2
JournalInternational Journal of STD and AIDS
Volume22
Issue number1
DOIs
StatePublished - Jan 1 2011
Externally publishedYes

Keywords

  • Alaska native
  • American indian
  • Audit
  • Chlamydia
  • Gonorrhoea
  • Guidelines
  • HIV/AIDS
  • Screening
  • Sexually transmitted diseases
  • Syphilis

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Dermatology
  • Public Health, Environmental and Occupational Health
  • Pharmacology (medical)
  • Infectious Diseases

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Completing the circle: Follow-up screening of STD patients in three clinics of the united states indian health service'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this