Computed arthrotomography of the shoulder: Comparison of examinations made with internal and external rotation of the humerus

D. R. Pennes, K. Jonsson, Kenneth Buckwalter, E. Braunstein, R. Blasier, E. Wojtys

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

15 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

We assessed the best positioning of the humerus for CT scans obtained after aircontrast shoulder arthrography by performing 54 examinations with both external and internal rotation of the humerus. Of the 30 abnormalities of the anterior portion of the labrum, 27 (90%) were identified on the scans obtained with the arm in internal rotation. The other three (10%) were shown best or solely on the scans obtained with the arm in external rotation. All 22 abnormalities of the anterior capsule were shown on the scans obtained with internal rotation. In no case were scans obtained in external rotation superior. Five posterior labral and capsule abnormalities were found; two of them were identified best or only on scans obtained with external rotation. The other three were shown equally well with the arm in either position. The results show that a modest (9%) increase in diagnostic yield can be expected when CT scans obtained with the arm in external rotation are added to studies performed solely with the arm internally rotated.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)1017-1019
Number of pages3
JournalAmerican Journal of Roentgenology
Volume153
Issue number5
StatePublished - 1989
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Humerus
Arm
Capsules
Arthrography

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Radiology Nuclear Medicine and imaging
  • Radiological and Ultrasound Technology

Cite this

Computed arthrotomography of the shoulder : Comparison of examinations made with internal and external rotation of the humerus. / Pennes, D. R.; Jonsson, K.; Buckwalter, Kenneth; Braunstein, E.; Blasier, R.; Wojtys, E.

In: American Journal of Roentgenology, Vol. 153, No. 5, 1989, p. 1017-1019.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{58dfe3ad7ac64cd193fdbb897aec37fc,
title = "Computed arthrotomography of the shoulder: Comparison of examinations made with internal and external rotation of the humerus",
abstract = "We assessed the best positioning of the humerus for CT scans obtained after aircontrast shoulder arthrography by performing 54 examinations with both external and internal rotation of the humerus. Of the 30 abnormalities of the anterior portion of the labrum, 27 (90{\%}) were identified on the scans obtained with the arm in internal rotation. The other three (10{\%}) were shown best or solely on the scans obtained with the arm in external rotation. All 22 abnormalities of the anterior capsule were shown on the scans obtained with internal rotation. In no case were scans obtained in external rotation superior. Five posterior labral and capsule abnormalities were found; two of them were identified best or only on scans obtained with external rotation. The other three were shown equally well with the arm in either position. The results show that a modest (9{\%}) increase in diagnostic yield can be expected when CT scans obtained with the arm in external rotation are added to studies performed solely with the arm internally rotated.",
author = "Pennes, {D. R.} and K. Jonsson and Kenneth Buckwalter and E. Braunstein and R. Blasier and E. Wojtys",
year = "1989",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "153",
pages = "1017--1019",
journal = "American Journal of Roentgenology",
issn = "0361-803X",
publisher = "American Roentgen Ray Society",
number = "5",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Computed arthrotomography of the shoulder

T2 - Comparison of examinations made with internal and external rotation of the humerus

AU - Pennes, D. R.

AU - Jonsson, K.

AU - Buckwalter, Kenneth

AU - Braunstein, E.

AU - Blasier, R.

AU - Wojtys, E.

PY - 1989

Y1 - 1989

N2 - We assessed the best positioning of the humerus for CT scans obtained after aircontrast shoulder arthrography by performing 54 examinations with both external and internal rotation of the humerus. Of the 30 abnormalities of the anterior portion of the labrum, 27 (90%) were identified on the scans obtained with the arm in internal rotation. The other three (10%) were shown best or solely on the scans obtained with the arm in external rotation. All 22 abnormalities of the anterior capsule were shown on the scans obtained with internal rotation. In no case were scans obtained in external rotation superior. Five posterior labral and capsule abnormalities were found; two of them were identified best or only on scans obtained with external rotation. The other three were shown equally well with the arm in either position. The results show that a modest (9%) increase in diagnostic yield can be expected when CT scans obtained with the arm in external rotation are added to studies performed solely with the arm internally rotated.

AB - We assessed the best positioning of the humerus for CT scans obtained after aircontrast shoulder arthrography by performing 54 examinations with both external and internal rotation of the humerus. Of the 30 abnormalities of the anterior portion of the labrum, 27 (90%) were identified on the scans obtained with the arm in internal rotation. The other three (10%) were shown best or solely on the scans obtained with the arm in external rotation. All 22 abnormalities of the anterior capsule were shown on the scans obtained with internal rotation. In no case were scans obtained in external rotation superior. Five posterior labral and capsule abnormalities were found; two of them were identified best or only on scans obtained with external rotation. The other three were shown equally well with the arm in either position. The results show that a modest (9%) increase in diagnostic yield can be expected when CT scans obtained with the arm in external rotation are added to studies performed solely with the arm internally rotated.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0024455778&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0024455778&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

C2 - 2801419

AN - SCOPUS:0024455778

VL - 153

SP - 1017

EP - 1019

JO - American Journal of Roentgenology

JF - American Journal of Roentgenology

SN - 0361-803X

IS - 5

ER -