Diagnostic laparoscopy for periampullary and pancreatic cancer: What is the true benefit?

Christopher J. Barreiro, Keith D. Lillemoe, Leonidas Koniaris, Taylor A. Sohn, Charles J. Yeo, JoAnn Coleman, Elliot K. Fishman, John L. Cameron

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

62 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

The role of diagnostic laparoscopy in patients with periampullary and pancreatic malignancies is controversial. A retrospective review was performed including all patients (n = 188) with a periampullary or pancreatic malignancy who underwent both CT and laparotomy at our institution between January 1997 and December 1999. The overall resectability rate for all periampullary cancers was 67.3% (115 of 171 patients). This compared favorably with the resectability rate for cancers of the pancreatic body and tail (3 of 17 patients, 17.6%; P <0.01 vs. periampullary cancers). Fifty percent of patients with periampullary cancers were unresectable because of metastatic disease, whereas metastatic disease precluded resection in 64.3% of patients with cancers of the pancreatic body and tail. After patients undergoing operative palliation were eliminated, a nontherapeutic laparotomy would have been precluded by the use of diagnostic laparoscopy in only 2.3% of patients with periampullary cancers (4 of 171 patients). In contrast, 6 (35.3%) of 17 patients with cancers of the pancreatic body and tail underwent a nontherapeutic laparotomy (P <0.01 vs. periampullary cancers). One hundred fifty-eight (84%) of the 188 CT reports reviewed could be definitively categorized as either "likely to be resectable" or "likely to be unresectable." The remaining 16% were equivocal. Of the 107 patients categorized as likely to be resectable, 89 were actually resected (83.2%). In contrast, only 10 of the 51 patients categorized as likely to be unresectable could be resected (19.6%).

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)75-81
Number of pages7
JournalJournal of Gastrointestinal Surgery
Volume6
Issue number1
DOIs
StatePublished - 2002
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Pancreatic Neoplasms
Laparoscopy
Neoplasms
Laparotomy

Keywords

  • Diagnostic laparoscopy
  • Pancreatic cancer
  • Periampullary cancer

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Surgery

Cite this

Diagnostic laparoscopy for periampullary and pancreatic cancer : What is the true benefit? / Barreiro, Christopher J.; Lillemoe, Keith D.; Koniaris, Leonidas; Sohn, Taylor A.; Yeo, Charles J.; Coleman, JoAnn; Fishman, Elliot K.; Cameron, John L.

In: Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery, Vol. 6, No. 1, 2002, p. 75-81.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Barreiro, CJ, Lillemoe, KD, Koniaris, L, Sohn, TA, Yeo, CJ, Coleman, J, Fishman, EK & Cameron, JL 2002, 'Diagnostic laparoscopy for periampullary and pancreatic cancer: What is the true benefit?', Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 75-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1091-255X(01)00004-X
Barreiro, Christopher J. ; Lillemoe, Keith D. ; Koniaris, Leonidas ; Sohn, Taylor A. ; Yeo, Charles J. ; Coleman, JoAnn ; Fishman, Elliot K. ; Cameron, John L. / Diagnostic laparoscopy for periampullary and pancreatic cancer : What is the true benefit?. In: Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery. 2002 ; Vol. 6, No. 1. pp. 75-81.
@article{68e832207d084dd4a245cae495c38c62,
title = "Diagnostic laparoscopy for periampullary and pancreatic cancer: What is the true benefit?",
abstract = "The role of diagnostic laparoscopy in patients with periampullary and pancreatic malignancies is controversial. A retrospective review was performed including all patients (n = 188) with a periampullary or pancreatic malignancy who underwent both CT and laparotomy at our institution between January 1997 and December 1999. The overall resectability rate for all periampullary cancers was 67.3{\%} (115 of 171 patients). This compared favorably with the resectability rate for cancers of the pancreatic body and tail (3 of 17 patients, 17.6{\%}; P <0.01 vs. periampullary cancers). Fifty percent of patients with periampullary cancers were unresectable because of metastatic disease, whereas metastatic disease precluded resection in 64.3{\%} of patients with cancers of the pancreatic body and tail. After patients undergoing operative palliation were eliminated, a nontherapeutic laparotomy would have been precluded by the use of diagnostic laparoscopy in only 2.3{\%} of patients with periampullary cancers (4 of 171 patients). In contrast, 6 (35.3{\%}) of 17 patients with cancers of the pancreatic body and tail underwent a nontherapeutic laparotomy (P <0.01 vs. periampullary cancers). One hundred fifty-eight (84{\%}) of the 188 CT reports reviewed could be definitively categorized as either {"}likely to be resectable{"} or {"}likely to be unresectable.{"} The remaining 16{\%} were equivocal. Of the 107 patients categorized as likely to be resectable, 89 were actually resected (83.2{\%}). In contrast, only 10 of the 51 patients categorized as likely to be unresectable could be resected (19.6{\%}).",
keywords = "Diagnostic laparoscopy, Pancreatic cancer, Periampullary cancer",
author = "Barreiro, {Christopher J.} and Lillemoe, {Keith D.} and Leonidas Koniaris and Sohn, {Taylor A.} and Yeo, {Charles J.} and JoAnn Coleman and Fishman, {Elliot K.} and Cameron, {John L.}",
year = "2002",
doi = "10.1016/S1091-255X(01)00004-X",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "6",
pages = "75--81",
journal = "Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery",
issn = "1091-255X",
publisher = "Springer New York",
number = "1",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Diagnostic laparoscopy for periampullary and pancreatic cancer

T2 - What is the true benefit?

AU - Barreiro, Christopher J.

AU - Lillemoe, Keith D.

AU - Koniaris, Leonidas

AU - Sohn, Taylor A.

AU - Yeo, Charles J.

AU - Coleman, JoAnn

AU - Fishman, Elliot K.

AU - Cameron, John L.

PY - 2002

Y1 - 2002

N2 - The role of diagnostic laparoscopy in patients with periampullary and pancreatic malignancies is controversial. A retrospective review was performed including all patients (n = 188) with a periampullary or pancreatic malignancy who underwent both CT and laparotomy at our institution between January 1997 and December 1999. The overall resectability rate for all periampullary cancers was 67.3% (115 of 171 patients). This compared favorably with the resectability rate for cancers of the pancreatic body and tail (3 of 17 patients, 17.6%; P <0.01 vs. periampullary cancers). Fifty percent of patients with periampullary cancers were unresectable because of metastatic disease, whereas metastatic disease precluded resection in 64.3% of patients with cancers of the pancreatic body and tail. After patients undergoing operative palliation were eliminated, a nontherapeutic laparotomy would have been precluded by the use of diagnostic laparoscopy in only 2.3% of patients with periampullary cancers (4 of 171 patients). In contrast, 6 (35.3%) of 17 patients with cancers of the pancreatic body and tail underwent a nontherapeutic laparotomy (P <0.01 vs. periampullary cancers). One hundred fifty-eight (84%) of the 188 CT reports reviewed could be definitively categorized as either "likely to be resectable" or "likely to be unresectable." The remaining 16% were equivocal. Of the 107 patients categorized as likely to be resectable, 89 were actually resected (83.2%). In contrast, only 10 of the 51 patients categorized as likely to be unresectable could be resected (19.6%).

AB - The role of diagnostic laparoscopy in patients with periampullary and pancreatic malignancies is controversial. A retrospective review was performed including all patients (n = 188) with a periampullary or pancreatic malignancy who underwent both CT and laparotomy at our institution between January 1997 and December 1999. The overall resectability rate for all periampullary cancers was 67.3% (115 of 171 patients). This compared favorably with the resectability rate for cancers of the pancreatic body and tail (3 of 17 patients, 17.6%; P <0.01 vs. periampullary cancers). Fifty percent of patients with periampullary cancers were unresectable because of metastatic disease, whereas metastatic disease precluded resection in 64.3% of patients with cancers of the pancreatic body and tail. After patients undergoing operative palliation were eliminated, a nontherapeutic laparotomy would have been precluded by the use of diagnostic laparoscopy in only 2.3% of patients with periampullary cancers (4 of 171 patients). In contrast, 6 (35.3%) of 17 patients with cancers of the pancreatic body and tail underwent a nontherapeutic laparotomy (P <0.01 vs. periampullary cancers). One hundred fifty-eight (84%) of the 188 CT reports reviewed could be definitively categorized as either "likely to be resectable" or "likely to be unresectable." The remaining 16% were equivocal. Of the 107 patients categorized as likely to be resectable, 89 were actually resected (83.2%). In contrast, only 10 of the 51 patients categorized as likely to be unresectable could be resected (19.6%).

KW - Diagnostic laparoscopy

KW - Pancreatic cancer

KW - Periampullary cancer

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0036365542&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0036365542&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1016/S1091-255X(01)00004-X

DO - 10.1016/S1091-255X(01)00004-X

M3 - Article

C2 - 11986021

AN - SCOPUS:0036365542

VL - 6

SP - 75

EP - 81

JO - Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery

JF - Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery

SN - 1091-255X

IS - 1

ER -