Effect of body tilt on receptive field orientation of simple visual cortical neurons in unanesthetized cats

D. L. Tomko, Nicholas Barbaro, F. N. Ali

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

34 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

The receptive field (RF) orientation of 53 simple visual cortical neurons was determined by recording the activity of single cells during presentation of stationary bars of light. An RF tuning curve was constructed for each cell by averaging the neural discharge resulting from the repeated presentation of a number of slit orientations. RF curves were then determined again, following a 45 ° roll tilt of the entire head and body, and subsequently after the return of the animal to the original horizontal position. RF tuning curves were typical of what others have found to characterize simple cells, and were highly replicable on the return to the starting position. In 73% of the cells studied, the RF orientation after tilt remained unaltered relative to the head axis (±15 °); in the remaining 27% of the cells RF orientations either under- or over-shot the retinal tilt by more than 15 °, and in some cases by as much as 45 °. These results support the hypothesis that the well documented vestibular inputs to visual cortex play a role in modifying the RF orientation selectivity of visual cortical neurons, and suggest that such information may be an important neurophysiological substrate underlying visual spatial constancy mechanisms.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)309-314
Number of pages6
JournalExperimental Brain Research
Volume43
Issue number3-4
DOIs
StatePublished - Aug 1981
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Cats
Neurons
Head
Visual Cortex
Light

Keywords

  • Cats
  • Head tilt
  • Visual cortex neurons

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Neuroscience(all)

Cite this

Effect of body tilt on receptive field orientation of simple visual cortical neurons in unanesthetized cats. / Tomko, D. L.; Barbaro, Nicholas; Ali, F. N.

In: Experimental Brain Research, Vol. 43, No. 3-4, 08.1981, p. 309-314.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Tomko, D. L. ; Barbaro, Nicholas ; Ali, F. N. / Effect of body tilt on receptive field orientation of simple visual cortical neurons in unanesthetized cats. In: Experimental Brain Research. 1981 ; Vol. 43, No. 3-4. pp. 309-314.
@article{445b4ac9ddac4d2ca85f9f57665900ef,
title = "Effect of body tilt on receptive field orientation of simple visual cortical neurons in unanesthetized cats",
abstract = "The receptive field (RF) orientation of 53 simple visual cortical neurons was determined by recording the activity of single cells during presentation of stationary bars of light. An RF tuning curve was constructed for each cell by averaging the neural discharge resulting from the repeated presentation of a number of slit orientations. RF curves were then determined again, following a 45 ° roll tilt of the entire head and body, and subsequently after the return of the animal to the original horizontal position. RF tuning curves were typical of what others have found to characterize simple cells, and were highly replicable on the return to the starting position. In 73{\%} of the cells studied, the RF orientation after tilt remained unaltered relative to the head axis (±15 °); in the remaining 27{\%} of the cells RF orientations either under- or over-shot the retinal tilt by more than 15 °, and in some cases by as much as 45 °. These results support the hypothesis that the well documented vestibular inputs to visual cortex play a role in modifying the RF orientation selectivity of visual cortical neurons, and suggest that such information may be an important neurophysiological substrate underlying visual spatial constancy mechanisms.",
keywords = "Cats, Head tilt, Visual cortex neurons",
author = "Tomko, {D. L.} and Nicholas Barbaro and Ali, {F. N.}",
year = "1981",
month = "8",
doi = "10.1007/BF00238372",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "43",
pages = "309--314",
journal = "Experimental Brain Research",
issn = "0014-4819",
publisher = "Springer Verlag",
number = "3-4",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Effect of body tilt on receptive field orientation of simple visual cortical neurons in unanesthetized cats

AU - Tomko, D. L.

AU - Barbaro, Nicholas

AU - Ali, F. N.

PY - 1981/8

Y1 - 1981/8

N2 - The receptive field (RF) orientation of 53 simple visual cortical neurons was determined by recording the activity of single cells during presentation of stationary bars of light. An RF tuning curve was constructed for each cell by averaging the neural discharge resulting from the repeated presentation of a number of slit orientations. RF curves were then determined again, following a 45 ° roll tilt of the entire head and body, and subsequently after the return of the animal to the original horizontal position. RF tuning curves were typical of what others have found to characterize simple cells, and were highly replicable on the return to the starting position. In 73% of the cells studied, the RF orientation after tilt remained unaltered relative to the head axis (±15 °); in the remaining 27% of the cells RF orientations either under- or over-shot the retinal tilt by more than 15 °, and in some cases by as much as 45 °. These results support the hypothesis that the well documented vestibular inputs to visual cortex play a role in modifying the RF orientation selectivity of visual cortical neurons, and suggest that such information may be an important neurophysiological substrate underlying visual spatial constancy mechanisms.

AB - The receptive field (RF) orientation of 53 simple visual cortical neurons was determined by recording the activity of single cells during presentation of stationary bars of light. An RF tuning curve was constructed for each cell by averaging the neural discharge resulting from the repeated presentation of a number of slit orientations. RF curves were then determined again, following a 45 ° roll tilt of the entire head and body, and subsequently after the return of the animal to the original horizontal position. RF tuning curves were typical of what others have found to characterize simple cells, and were highly replicable on the return to the starting position. In 73% of the cells studied, the RF orientation after tilt remained unaltered relative to the head axis (±15 °); in the remaining 27% of the cells RF orientations either under- or over-shot the retinal tilt by more than 15 °, and in some cases by as much as 45 °. These results support the hypothesis that the well documented vestibular inputs to visual cortex play a role in modifying the RF orientation selectivity of visual cortical neurons, and suggest that such information may be an important neurophysiological substrate underlying visual spatial constancy mechanisms.

KW - Cats

KW - Head tilt

KW - Visual cortex neurons

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0019403677&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0019403677&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1007/BF00238372

DO - 10.1007/BF00238372

M3 - Article

C2 - 7262226

AN - SCOPUS:0019403677

VL - 43

SP - 309

EP - 314

JO - Experimental Brain Research

JF - Experimental Brain Research

SN - 0014-4819

IS - 3-4

ER -