Endoscopic Management of Upper Tract Transitional Cell Carcinoma in Patients with Normal Contralateral Kidneys

R. Houston Thompson, Amy Krambeck, Christine M. Lohse, Daniel S. Elliott, David E. Patterson, Michael L. Blute

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

56 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Objectives: We report our experience using ureteroscopic or percutaneous management of upper tract transitional cell carcinoma (TCC) in elective situations. Methods: Between 1983 and 2004 we identified 83 patients who underwent endoscopic management of upper tract TCC in the setting of a normal contralateral kidney. We performed a retrospective chart review and conducted outcome analyses. Results: Median age at diagnosis was 71 years (range, 37 to 90 years) and median tumor size was 0.8 cm (range, 0.2 to 3.0 cm). Grade 3 tumors were present in 8 patients (10%), whereas the remaining 75 (90%) patients were grade 1 or 2 or diagnosed as visual low grade. Tumor stage was Ta or visual Ta in 78 patients (94%). Median follow-up was 4.6 years (range, 0.4 to 17 years) during which 46 patients (55%) developed 76 upper tract recurrences and 37 patients (45%) developed a recurrence in the bladder. At last follow-up, 27 patients (33%) required a nephroureterectomy and 9 patients (11%) died from TCC. Patients with high-grade (risk ratio, 9.8; P = 0.001) and non-Ta stage tumors (risk ratio, 5.7; P = 0.003) were at significant risk of death from disease. Among 43 patients with a diagnosis based on visual inspection only, 9 (21%) developed grade 3 TCC during follow-up. Conclusions: Our results underscore the need for strict surveillance after endoscopic management of upper tract TCC. Recurrence is common and nearly one-third of patients in this cohort eventually required nephroureterectomy. Patients with a visual diagnosis, without adequate tissue for pathologic analysis, can experience recurrence of high-grade invasive TCC.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)713-717
Number of pages5
JournalUrology
Volume71
Issue number4
DOIs
StatePublished - Apr 2008
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Transitional Cell Carcinoma
Kidney
Recurrence
Neoplasms
Odds Ratio
Urinary Bladder

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Urology

Cite this

Endoscopic Management of Upper Tract Transitional Cell Carcinoma in Patients with Normal Contralateral Kidneys. / Thompson, R. Houston; Krambeck, Amy; Lohse, Christine M.; Elliott, Daniel S.; Patterson, David E.; Blute, Michael L.

In: Urology, Vol. 71, No. 4, 04.2008, p. 713-717.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Thompson, R. Houston ; Krambeck, Amy ; Lohse, Christine M. ; Elliott, Daniel S. ; Patterson, David E. ; Blute, Michael L. / Endoscopic Management of Upper Tract Transitional Cell Carcinoma in Patients with Normal Contralateral Kidneys. In: Urology. 2008 ; Vol. 71, No. 4. pp. 713-717.
@article{0f3f300afd42437c965c908e7a4e289a,
title = "Endoscopic Management of Upper Tract Transitional Cell Carcinoma in Patients with Normal Contralateral Kidneys",
abstract = "Objectives: We report our experience using ureteroscopic or percutaneous management of upper tract transitional cell carcinoma (TCC) in elective situations. Methods: Between 1983 and 2004 we identified 83 patients who underwent endoscopic management of upper tract TCC in the setting of a normal contralateral kidney. We performed a retrospective chart review and conducted outcome analyses. Results: Median age at diagnosis was 71 years (range, 37 to 90 years) and median tumor size was 0.8 cm (range, 0.2 to 3.0 cm). Grade 3 tumors were present in 8 patients (10{\%}), whereas the remaining 75 (90{\%}) patients were grade 1 or 2 or diagnosed as visual low grade. Tumor stage was Ta or visual Ta in 78 patients (94{\%}). Median follow-up was 4.6 years (range, 0.4 to 17 years) during which 46 patients (55{\%}) developed 76 upper tract recurrences and 37 patients (45{\%}) developed a recurrence in the bladder. At last follow-up, 27 patients (33{\%}) required a nephroureterectomy and 9 patients (11{\%}) died from TCC. Patients with high-grade (risk ratio, 9.8; P = 0.001) and non-Ta stage tumors (risk ratio, 5.7; P = 0.003) were at significant risk of death from disease. Among 43 patients with a diagnosis based on visual inspection only, 9 (21{\%}) developed grade 3 TCC during follow-up. Conclusions: Our results underscore the need for strict surveillance after endoscopic management of upper tract TCC. Recurrence is common and nearly one-third of patients in this cohort eventually required nephroureterectomy. Patients with a visual diagnosis, without adequate tissue for pathologic analysis, can experience recurrence of high-grade invasive TCC.",
author = "Thompson, {R. Houston} and Amy Krambeck and Lohse, {Christine M.} and Elliott, {Daniel S.} and Patterson, {David E.} and Blute, {Michael L.}",
year = "2008",
month = "4",
doi = "10.1016/j.urology.2007.11.018",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "71",
pages = "713--717",
journal = "Urology",
issn = "0090-4295",
publisher = "Elsevier Inc.",
number = "4",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Endoscopic Management of Upper Tract Transitional Cell Carcinoma in Patients with Normal Contralateral Kidneys

AU - Thompson, R. Houston

AU - Krambeck, Amy

AU - Lohse, Christine M.

AU - Elliott, Daniel S.

AU - Patterson, David E.

AU - Blute, Michael L.

PY - 2008/4

Y1 - 2008/4

N2 - Objectives: We report our experience using ureteroscopic or percutaneous management of upper tract transitional cell carcinoma (TCC) in elective situations. Methods: Between 1983 and 2004 we identified 83 patients who underwent endoscopic management of upper tract TCC in the setting of a normal contralateral kidney. We performed a retrospective chart review and conducted outcome analyses. Results: Median age at diagnosis was 71 years (range, 37 to 90 years) and median tumor size was 0.8 cm (range, 0.2 to 3.0 cm). Grade 3 tumors were present in 8 patients (10%), whereas the remaining 75 (90%) patients were grade 1 or 2 or diagnosed as visual low grade. Tumor stage was Ta or visual Ta in 78 patients (94%). Median follow-up was 4.6 years (range, 0.4 to 17 years) during which 46 patients (55%) developed 76 upper tract recurrences and 37 patients (45%) developed a recurrence in the bladder. At last follow-up, 27 patients (33%) required a nephroureterectomy and 9 patients (11%) died from TCC. Patients with high-grade (risk ratio, 9.8; P = 0.001) and non-Ta stage tumors (risk ratio, 5.7; P = 0.003) were at significant risk of death from disease. Among 43 patients with a diagnosis based on visual inspection only, 9 (21%) developed grade 3 TCC during follow-up. Conclusions: Our results underscore the need for strict surveillance after endoscopic management of upper tract TCC. Recurrence is common and nearly one-third of patients in this cohort eventually required nephroureterectomy. Patients with a visual diagnosis, without adequate tissue for pathologic analysis, can experience recurrence of high-grade invasive TCC.

AB - Objectives: We report our experience using ureteroscopic or percutaneous management of upper tract transitional cell carcinoma (TCC) in elective situations. Methods: Between 1983 and 2004 we identified 83 patients who underwent endoscopic management of upper tract TCC in the setting of a normal contralateral kidney. We performed a retrospective chart review and conducted outcome analyses. Results: Median age at diagnosis was 71 years (range, 37 to 90 years) and median tumor size was 0.8 cm (range, 0.2 to 3.0 cm). Grade 3 tumors were present in 8 patients (10%), whereas the remaining 75 (90%) patients were grade 1 or 2 or diagnosed as visual low grade. Tumor stage was Ta or visual Ta in 78 patients (94%). Median follow-up was 4.6 years (range, 0.4 to 17 years) during which 46 patients (55%) developed 76 upper tract recurrences and 37 patients (45%) developed a recurrence in the bladder. At last follow-up, 27 patients (33%) required a nephroureterectomy and 9 patients (11%) died from TCC. Patients with high-grade (risk ratio, 9.8; P = 0.001) and non-Ta stage tumors (risk ratio, 5.7; P = 0.003) were at significant risk of death from disease. Among 43 patients with a diagnosis based on visual inspection only, 9 (21%) developed grade 3 TCC during follow-up. Conclusions: Our results underscore the need for strict surveillance after endoscopic management of upper tract TCC. Recurrence is common and nearly one-third of patients in this cohort eventually required nephroureterectomy. Patients with a visual diagnosis, without adequate tissue for pathologic analysis, can experience recurrence of high-grade invasive TCC.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=41149085944&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=41149085944&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1016/j.urology.2007.11.018

DO - 10.1016/j.urology.2007.11.018

M3 - Article

C2 - 18267338

AN - SCOPUS:41149085944

VL - 71

SP - 713

EP - 717

JO - Urology

JF - Urology

SN - 0090-4295

IS - 4

ER -