Glucose carbon recycling and oxidation in human newborns

Scott Denne, S. C. Kalhan

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

52 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Total carbohydrate oxidation, plasma glucose oxidation, and glucose carbon recycling were measured in 11 fasting newborns using a constant infusion of D-[U-13C]glucose combined with respiratory calorimetry. The 'true' rate of glucose appearance (R(a)) was quantified from the enrichment of the nonrecycling tracer species (m + 6), while the 'apparent' rate of glucose appearance was quantified from the enrichment of glucose C - 1. The plasma glucose concentration remained constant at ~50 mg/dl (2.8 mM) throughout the study. The true rate of glucose production was 5.02 ± 0.41 mg.kg-1.min-1 (means ± SD). Glucose was oxidized at a rate of 2.67 ± 0.34 mg.kg-1.min-1 and represented 53% of the glucose turnover. Recycling of glucose carbon represented 36% of the glucose production rate, or 1.87 ± 0.74 mg.kg-1.min-1. The oxidation of plasma glucose provided 15.8 ± 2.0 kcal.kg-1.day-1, whereas total carbohydrate oxidation (measured by respiratory calorimetry) provided 19.9 ± 6.6 kcal.kg.day. The data indicate that 1) recycling of glucose carbon accounts for about one-third of glucose production, demonstrating active gluconeogenesis in the fasting newborn; 2) the oxidation of plasma glucose represents only 80% of total carbohydrate oxidation, the remaining 20% possibly representing the local oxidation of tissue glycogen stores; and 3) as the measured rate of glucose oxidation will be insufficient to supply the entire calculated cerebral metabolic requirements, these data suggest that fuels in addition to glucose may be important for cerebral metabolism in the fasting human newborn.

Original languageEnglish (US)
JournalAmerican Journal of Physiology - Endocrinology and Metabolism
Volume251
Issue number1
StatePublished - 1986
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Recycling
Carbon
Glucose
Oxidation
Plasmas
Fasting
Calorimetry
Carbohydrates
Gluconeogenesis
Glycogen
Metabolism

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Biochemistry
  • Endocrinology
  • Physiology

Cite this

Glucose carbon recycling and oxidation in human newborns. / Denne, Scott; Kalhan, S. C.

In: American Journal of Physiology - Endocrinology and Metabolism, Vol. 251, No. 1, 1986.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{7287511d73ef471a8c474162c8171bc5,
title = "Glucose carbon recycling and oxidation in human newborns",
abstract = "Total carbohydrate oxidation, plasma glucose oxidation, and glucose carbon recycling were measured in 11 fasting newborns using a constant infusion of D-[U-13C]glucose combined with respiratory calorimetry. The 'true' rate of glucose appearance (R(a)) was quantified from the enrichment of the nonrecycling tracer species (m + 6), while the 'apparent' rate of glucose appearance was quantified from the enrichment of glucose C - 1. The plasma glucose concentration remained constant at ~50 mg/dl (2.8 mM) throughout the study. The true rate of glucose production was 5.02 ± 0.41 mg.kg-1.min-1 (means ± SD). Glucose was oxidized at a rate of 2.67 ± 0.34 mg.kg-1.min-1 and represented 53{\%} of the glucose turnover. Recycling of glucose carbon represented 36{\%} of the glucose production rate, or 1.87 ± 0.74 mg.kg-1.min-1. The oxidation of plasma glucose provided 15.8 ± 2.0 kcal.kg-1.day-1, whereas total carbohydrate oxidation (measured by respiratory calorimetry) provided 19.9 ± 6.6 kcal.kg.day. The data indicate that 1) recycling of glucose carbon accounts for about one-third of glucose production, demonstrating active gluconeogenesis in the fasting newborn; 2) the oxidation of plasma glucose represents only 80{\%} of total carbohydrate oxidation, the remaining 20{\%} possibly representing the local oxidation of tissue glycogen stores; and 3) as the measured rate of glucose oxidation will be insufficient to supply the entire calculated cerebral metabolic requirements, these data suggest that fuels in addition to glucose may be important for cerebral metabolism in the fasting human newborn.",
author = "Scott Denne and Kalhan, {S. C.}",
year = "1986",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "251",
journal = "American Journal of Physiology",
issn = "0193-1857",
publisher = "American Physiological Society",
number = "1",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Glucose carbon recycling and oxidation in human newborns

AU - Denne, Scott

AU - Kalhan, S. C.

PY - 1986

Y1 - 1986

N2 - Total carbohydrate oxidation, plasma glucose oxidation, and glucose carbon recycling were measured in 11 fasting newborns using a constant infusion of D-[U-13C]glucose combined with respiratory calorimetry. The 'true' rate of glucose appearance (R(a)) was quantified from the enrichment of the nonrecycling tracer species (m + 6), while the 'apparent' rate of glucose appearance was quantified from the enrichment of glucose C - 1. The plasma glucose concentration remained constant at ~50 mg/dl (2.8 mM) throughout the study. The true rate of glucose production was 5.02 ± 0.41 mg.kg-1.min-1 (means ± SD). Glucose was oxidized at a rate of 2.67 ± 0.34 mg.kg-1.min-1 and represented 53% of the glucose turnover. Recycling of glucose carbon represented 36% of the glucose production rate, or 1.87 ± 0.74 mg.kg-1.min-1. The oxidation of plasma glucose provided 15.8 ± 2.0 kcal.kg-1.day-1, whereas total carbohydrate oxidation (measured by respiratory calorimetry) provided 19.9 ± 6.6 kcal.kg.day. The data indicate that 1) recycling of glucose carbon accounts for about one-third of glucose production, demonstrating active gluconeogenesis in the fasting newborn; 2) the oxidation of plasma glucose represents only 80% of total carbohydrate oxidation, the remaining 20% possibly representing the local oxidation of tissue glycogen stores; and 3) as the measured rate of glucose oxidation will be insufficient to supply the entire calculated cerebral metabolic requirements, these data suggest that fuels in addition to glucose may be important for cerebral metabolism in the fasting human newborn.

AB - Total carbohydrate oxidation, plasma glucose oxidation, and glucose carbon recycling were measured in 11 fasting newborns using a constant infusion of D-[U-13C]glucose combined with respiratory calorimetry. The 'true' rate of glucose appearance (R(a)) was quantified from the enrichment of the nonrecycling tracer species (m + 6), while the 'apparent' rate of glucose appearance was quantified from the enrichment of glucose C - 1. The plasma glucose concentration remained constant at ~50 mg/dl (2.8 mM) throughout the study. The true rate of glucose production was 5.02 ± 0.41 mg.kg-1.min-1 (means ± SD). Glucose was oxidized at a rate of 2.67 ± 0.34 mg.kg-1.min-1 and represented 53% of the glucose turnover. Recycling of glucose carbon represented 36% of the glucose production rate, or 1.87 ± 0.74 mg.kg-1.min-1. The oxidation of plasma glucose provided 15.8 ± 2.0 kcal.kg-1.day-1, whereas total carbohydrate oxidation (measured by respiratory calorimetry) provided 19.9 ± 6.6 kcal.kg.day. The data indicate that 1) recycling of glucose carbon accounts for about one-third of glucose production, demonstrating active gluconeogenesis in the fasting newborn; 2) the oxidation of plasma glucose represents only 80% of total carbohydrate oxidation, the remaining 20% possibly representing the local oxidation of tissue glycogen stores; and 3) as the measured rate of glucose oxidation will be insufficient to supply the entire calculated cerebral metabolic requirements, these data suggest that fuels in addition to glucose may be important for cerebral metabolism in the fasting human newborn.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0022528413&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0022528413&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

C2 - 3728666

AN - SCOPUS:0022528413

VL - 251

JO - American Journal of Physiology

JF - American Journal of Physiology

SN - 0193-1857

IS - 1

ER -