Human apurinic endonuclease 1 (APE1) expression and prognostic significance in osteosarcoma: Enhanced sensitivity of osteosarcoma to DNA damaging agents using silencing RNA APE1 expression inhibition

Dong Wang, Meihua Luo, Mark Kelley

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

171 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Osteosarcoma is the most common highly malignant bone tumor with primary appearance during the second and third decade of life. It is associated with a high risk of relapse, possibly resulting from a developed resistance to chemotherapy agents. As a means to overcome osteosarcoma tumor cell resistance and/or to sensitize tumor cells to currently used chemotherapeutic treatments, we examined the role of human apurinic endonuclease 1 (APE1) in osteosarcoma tumor cell resistance and prognosis. Sixty human samples of archived conventional (intramedullary) osteosarcoma were analyzed. APE1 protein was elevated in 72% of these tissues and among those with a known clinical outcome, there was a significant correlation between high APE1 expression levels and reduced survival times. The remaining 28% of samples showed low expression of APE1. Given that APE1 was overexpressed in osteosarcoma, we decreased APE1 levels using silencing RNA (siRNA) targeting technology in the osteosarcoma cell line, human osteogenic sarcoma (HOS), to enhance chemo- and radiation sensitivity. Using siRNA targeted technology of APE1, protein levels were reduced by more than 90% within 24 hours, remained low for 72 hours, and returned to normal levels at 96 hours. There was also a clear loss of APE1 endonuclease activity following APE1-sIRNA treatment. A decrease in APE1 levels in siRNA-treated human osteogenic sarcoma cells led to enhanced cell sensitization to the DNA damaging agents: methyl methanesulfonate, H2O2, ionizing radiation, and chemotherapeutic agents. The findings presented here have both prognostic and therapeutic implications for treating osteosarcoma. The APE1-siRNA results demonstrate the feasibility for the therapeutic modulation of APE1 using a variety of molecules and approaches.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)679-686
Number of pages8
JournalMolecular Cancer Therapeutics
Volume3
Issue number6
StatePublished - Jun 2004

Fingerprint

DNA-(Apurinic or Apyrimidinic Site) Lyase
Osteosarcoma
RNA Interference
DNA
Methyl Methanesulfonate
Technology
Endonucleases
Radiation Tolerance
Therapeutics
Ionizing Radiation

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Oncology
  • Drug Discovery
  • Pharmacology

Cite this

@article{11fe1dd42eec4ad3a1f3e6088e77b98a,
title = "Human apurinic endonuclease 1 (APE1) expression and prognostic significance in osteosarcoma: Enhanced sensitivity of osteosarcoma to DNA damaging agents using silencing RNA APE1 expression inhibition",
abstract = "Osteosarcoma is the most common highly malignant bone tumor with primary appearance during the second and third decade of life. It is associated with a high risk of relapse, possibly resulting from a developed resistance to chemotherapy agents. As a means to overcome osteosarcoma tumor cell resistance and/or to sensitize tumor cells to currently used chemotherapeutic treatments, we examined the role of human apurinic endonuclease 1 (APE1) in osteosarcoma tumor cell resistance and prognosis. Sixty human samples of archived conventional (intramedullary) osteosarcoma were analyzed. APE1 protein was elevated in 72{\%} of these tissues and among those with a known clinical outcome, there was a significant correlation between high APE1 expression levels and reduced survival times. The remaining 28{\%} of samples showed low expression of APE1. Given that APE1 was overexpressed in osteosarcoma, we decreased APE1 levels using silencing RNA (siRNA) targeting technology in the osteosarcoma cell line, human osteogenic sarcoma (HOS), to enhance chemo- and radiation sensitivity. Using siRNA targeted technology of APE1, protein levels were reduced by more than 90{\%} within 24 hours, remained low for 72 hours, and returned to normal levels at 96 hours. There was also a clear loss of APE1 endonuclease activity following APE1-sIRNA treatment. A decrease in APE1 levels in siRNA-treated human osteogenic sarcoma cells led to enhanced cell sensitization to the DNA damaging agents: methyl methanesulfonate, H2O2, ionizing radiation, and chemotherapeutic agents. The findings presented here have both prognostic and therapeutic implications for treating osteosarcoma. The APE1-siRNA results demonstrate the feasibility for the therapeutic modulation of APE1 using a variety of molecules and approaches.",
author = "Dong Wang and Meihua Luo and Mark Kelley",
year = "2004",
month = "6",
language = "English",
volume = "3",
pages = "679--686",
journal = "Molecular Cancer Therapeutics",
issn = "1535-7163",
publisher = "American Association for Cancer Research Inc.",
number = "6",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Human apurinic endonuclease 1 (APE1) expression and prognostic significance in osteosarcoma

T2 - Enhanced sensitivity of osteosarcoma to DNA damaging agents using silencing RNA APE1 expression inhibition

AU - Wang, Dong

AU - Luo, Meihua

AU - Kelley, Mark

PY - 2004/6

Y1 - 2004/6

N2 - Osteosarcoma is the most common highly malignant bone tumor with primary appearance during the second and third decade of life. It is associated with a high risk of relapse, possibly resulting from a developed resistance to chemotherapy agents. As a means to overcome osteosarcoma tumor cell resistance and/or to sensitize tumor cells to currently used chemotherapeutic treatments, we examined the role of human apurinic endonuclease 1 (APE1) in osteosarcoma tumor cell resistance and prognosis. Sixty human samples of archived conventional (intramedullary) osteosarcoma were analyzed. APE1 protein was elevated in 72% of these tissues and among those with a known clinical outcome, there was a significant correlation between high APE1 expression levels and reduced survival times. The remaining 28% of samples showed low expression of APE1. Given that APE1 was overexpressed in osteosarcoma, we decreased APE1 levels using silencing RNA (siRNA) targeting technology in the osteosarcoma cell line, human osteogenic sarcoma (HOS), to enhance chemo- and radiation sensitivity. Using siRNA targeted technology of APE1, protein levels were reduced by more than 90% within 24 hours, remained low for 72 hours, and returned to normal levels at 96 hours. There was also a clear loss of APE1 endonuclease activity following APE1-sIRNA treatment. A decrease in APE1 levels in siRNA-treated human osteogenic sarcoma cells led to enhanced cell sensitization to the DNA damaging agents: methyl methanesulfonate, H2O2, ionizing radiation, and chemotherapeutic agents. The findings presented here have both prognostic and therapeutic implications for treating osteosarcoma. The APE1-siRNA results demonstrate the feasibility for the therapeutic modulation of APE1 using a variety of molecules and approaches.

AB - Osteosarcoma is the most common highly malignant bone tumor with primary appearance during the second and third decade of life. It is associated with a high risk of relapse, possibly resulting from a developed resistance to chemotherapy agents. As a means to overcome osteosarcoma tumor cell resistance and/or to sensitize tumor cells to currently used chemotherapeutic treatments, we examined the role of human apurinic endonuclease 1 (APE1) in osteosarcoma tumor cell resistance and prognosis. Sixty human samples of archived conventional (intramedullary) osteosarcoma were analyzed. APE1 protein was elevated in 72% of these tissues and among those with a known clinical outcome, there was a significant correlation between high APE1 expression levels and reduced survival times. The remaining 28% of samples showed low expression of APE1. Given that APE1 was overexpressed in osteosarcoma, we decreased APE1 levels using silencing RNA (siRNA) targeting technology in the osteosarcoma cell line, human osteogenic sarcoma (HOS), to enhance chemo- and radiation sensitivity. Using siRNA targeted technology of APE1, protein levels were reduced by more than 90% within 24 hours, remained low for 72 hours, and returned to normal levels at 96 hours. There was also a clear loss of APE1 endonuclease activity following APE1-sIRNA treatment. A decrease in APE1 levels in siRNA-treated human osteogenic sarcoma cells led to enhanced cell sensitization to the DNA damaging agents: methyl methanesulfonate, H2O2, ionizing radiation, and chemotherapeutic agents. The findings presented here have both prognostic and therapeutic implications for treating osteosarcoma. The APE1-siRNA results demonstrate the feasibility for the therapeutic modulation of APE1 using a variety of molecules and approaches.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=4444327784&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=4444327784&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

C2 - 15210853

AN - SCOPUS:4444327784

VL - 3

SP - 679

EP - 686

JO - Molecular Cancer Therapeutics

JF - Molecular Cancer Therapeutics

SN - 1535-7163

IS - 6

ER -