Lifelong learning and self-assessment is relevant to emergency physicians

James Jones, Rebecca Smith-Coggins, J. Mark Meredith, Robert C. Korte, Earl J. Reisdorff, Chad M. Russ

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

6 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Background The Lifelong Learning and Self-assessment (LLSA) component of the American Board of Emergency Medicine (ABEM) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program is a self-assessment exercise for physicians. Beginning in 2011, an optional continuing medical education (CME) activity was added. Objectives As a part of a CME activity option for the LLSA, a survey was used to determine the relevancy of the LLSA readings and the degree to which medical knowledge garnered by the LLSA activity would modify clinical care. Methods Survey results from the 2011 LLSA CME activity were reviewed. This survey was composed of seven items, including questions about the relevancy of the readings and the impact on the physician's clinical practice. The questions used a 5-point Likert scale and data underwent descriptive analyses. Results There were 2841 physicians who took the LLSA test during the study period, of whom 1354 (47.7%) opted to participate in the 2011 LLSA CME activity. All participants completed surveys. The LLSA readings were reported to be relevant to the overall clinical practice of Emergency Medicine (69.6% strongly relevant, 28.1% some relevance, and 2.3% little or no relevance), and provided information that would likely help them change their clinical practices (high likelihood 38.8%, some likelihood 53.0%, little or no change 8.2%). Conclusions The LLSA component of the ABEM MOC program is relevant to the clinical practice of Emergency Medicine. Through this program, physicians gain new knowledge about the practice of Emergency Medicine, some of which is reported to change physicians' clinical practices.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)935-941
Number of pages7
JournalJournal of Emergency Medicine
Volume45
Issue number6
DOIs
StatePublished - Dec 2013

Fingerprint

Emergencies
Learning
Physicians
Emergency Medicine
Continuing Medical Education
Reading
Certification
Maintenance
Self-Assessment
Exercise
Surveys and Questionnaires

Keywords

  • continuing medical education
  • lifelong learning
  • maintenance of certification
  • self-assessment

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Emergency Medicine

Cite this

Jones, J., Smith-Coggins, R., Meredith, J. M., Korte, R. C., Reisdorff, E. J., & Russ, C. M. (2013). Lifelong learning and self-assessment is relevant to emergency physicians. Journal of Emergency Medicine, 45(6), 935-941. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jemermed.2013.05.050

Lifelong learning and self-assessment is relevant to emergency physicians. / Jones, James; Smith-Coggins, Rebecca; Meredith, J. Mark; Korte, Robert C.; Reisdorff, Earl J.; Russ, Chad M.

In: Journal of Emergency Medicine, Vol. 45, No. 6, 12.2013, p. 935-941.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Jones, J, Smith-Coggins, R, Meredith, JM, Korte, RC, Reisdorff, EJ & Russ, CM 2013, 'Lifelong learning and self-assessment is relevant to emergency physicians', Journal of Emergency Medicine, vol. 45, no. 6, pp. 935-941. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jemermed.2013.05.050
Jones, James ; Smith-Coggins, Rebecca ; Meredith, J. Mark ; Korte, Robert C. ; Reisdorff, Earl J. ; Russ, Chad M. / Lifelong learning and self-assessment is relevant to emergency physicians. In: Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2013 ; Vol. 45, No. 6. pp. 935-941.
@article{1fa516ca2de24826821a4cb92f43951b,
title = "Lifelong learning and self-assessment is relevant to emergency physicians",
abstract = "Background The Lifelong Learning and Self-assessment (LLSA) component of the American Board of Emergency Medicine (ABEM) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program is a self-assessment exercise for physicians. Beginning in 2011, an optional continuing medical education (CME) activity was added. Objectives As a part of a CME activity option for the LLSA, a survey was used to determine the relevancy of the LLSA readings and the degree to which medical knowledge garnered by the LLSA activity would modify clinical care. Methods Survey results from the 2011 LLSA CME activity were reviewed. This survey was composed of seven items, including questions about the relevancy of the readings and the impact on the physician's clinical practice. The questions used a 5-point Likert scale and data underwent descriptive analyses. Results There were 2841 physicians who took the LLSA test during the study period, of whom 1354 (47.7{\%}) opted to participate in the 2011 LLSA CME activity. All participants completed surveys. The LLSA readings were reported to be relevant to the overall clinical practice of Emergency Medicine (69.6{\%} strongly relevant, 28.1{\%} some relevance, and 2.3{\%} little or no relevance), and provided information that would likely help them change their clinical practices (high likelihood 38.8{\%}, some likelihood 53.0{\%}, little or no change 8.2{\%}). Conclusions The LLSA component of the ABEM MOC program is relevant to the clinical practice of Emergency Medicine. Through this program, physicians gain new knowledge about the practice of Emergency Medicine, some of which is reported to change physicians' clinical practices.",
keywords = "continuing medical education, lifelong learning, maintenance of certification, self-assessment",
author = "James Jones and Rebecca Smith-Coggins and Meredith, {J. Mark} and Korte, {Robert C.} and Reisdorff, {Earl J.} and Russ, {Chad M.}",
year = "2013",
month = "12",
doi = "10.1016/j.jemermed.2013.05.050",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "45",
pages = "935--941",
journal = "Journal of Emergency Medicine",
issn = "0736-4679",
publisher = "Elsevier USA",
number = "6",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Lifelong learning and self-assessment is relevant to emergency physicians

AU - Jones, James

AU - Smith-Coggins, Rebecca

AU - Meredith, J. Mark

AU - Korte, Robert C.

AU - Reisdorff, Earl J.

AU - Russ, Chad M.

PY - 2013/12

Y1 - 2013/12

N2 - Background The Lifelong Learning and Self-assessment (LLSA) component of the American Board of Emergency Medicine (ABEM) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program is a self-assessment exercise for physicians. Beginning in 2011, an optional continuing medical education (CME) activity was added. Objectives As a part of a CME activity option for the LLSA, a survey was used to determine the relevancy of the LLSA readings and the degree to which medical knowledge garnered by the LLSA activity would modify clinical care. Methods Survey results from the 2011 LLSA CME activity were reviewed. This survey was composed of seven items, including questions about the relevancy of the readings and the impact on the physician's clinical practice. The questions used a 5-point Likert scale and data underwent descriptive analyses. Results There were 2841 physicians who took the LLSA test during the study period, of whom 1354 (47.7%) opted to participate in the 2011 LLSA CME activity. All participants completed surveys. The LLSA readings were reported to be relevant to the overall clinical practice of Emergency Medicine (69.6% strongly relevant, 28.1% some relevance, and 2.3% little or no relevance), and provided information that would likely help them change their clinical practices (high likelihood 38.8%, some likelihood 53.0%, little or no change 8.2%). Conclusions The LLSA component of the ABEM MOC program is relevant to the clinical practice of Emergency Medicine. Through this program, physicians gain new knowledge about the practice of Emergency Medicine, some of which is reported to change physicians' clinical practices.

AB - Background The Lifelong Learning and Self-assessment (LLSA) component of the American Board of Emergency Medicine (ABEM) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program is a self-assessment exercise for physicians. Beginning in 2011, an optional continuing medical education (CME) activity was added. Objectives As a part of a CME activity option for the LLSA, a survey was used to determine the relevancy of the LLSA readings and the degree to which medical knowledge garnered by the LLSA activity would modify clinical care. Methods Survey results from the 2011 LLSA CME activity were reviewed. This survey was composed of seven items, including questions about the relevancy of the readings and the impact on the physician's clinical practice. The questions used a 5-point Likert scale and data underwent descriptive analyses. Results There were 2841 physicians who took the LLSA test during the study period, of whom 1354 (47.7%) opted to participate in the 2011 LLSA CME activity. All participants completed surveys. The LLSA readings were reported to be relevant to the overall clinical practice of Emergency Medicine (69.6% strongly relevant, 28.1% some relevance, and 2.3% little or no relevance), and provided information that would likely help them change their clinical practices (high likelihood 38.8%, some likelihood 53.0%, little or no change 8.2%). Conclusions The LLSA component of the ABEM MOC program is relevant to the clinical practice of Emergency Medicine. Through this program, physicians gain new knowledge about the practice of Emergency Medicine, some of which is reported to change physicians' clinical practices.

KW - continuing medical education

KW - lifelong learning

KW - maintenance of certification

KW - self-assessment

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=84888638296&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=84888638296&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1016/j.jemermed.2013.05.050

DO - 10.1016/j.jemermed.2013.05.050

M3 - Article

C2 - 23937810

AN - SCOPUS:84888638296

VL - 45

SP - 935

EP - 941

JO - Journal of Emergency Medicine

JF - Journal of Emergency Medicine

SN - 0736-4679

IS - 6

ER -