Locally advanced pancreatic cancer: Current therapeutic approach

Higinia R. Cardenes, Elena G. Chiorean, John DeWitt, C. Schmidt, Patrick Loehrer

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

72 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Even though pancreatic cancer accounts for only 2% of all cancer diagnoses in the U.S., it is the fourth-leading cause of cancer death and one of the most difficult malignancies to manage. Because of the usually late onset of symptoms, only 10%-15% of patients present with resectable disease, whereas the remaining 85%-90% present with locally advanced unresectable or metastatic disease. Despite a lack of consistent evidence from previous clinical trials, chemotherapy in addition to radiation therapy is the most commonly used approach in treating locally advanced pancreatic cancer. The most appropriate chemotherapy in combination with radiation is still debatable between 5-fluorouracil and gemcitabine, and novel trends to prevent resistance and enhance efficacy incorporate biologically targeted agents. This paper reviews the current management options, controversies, and ongoing and future directions for the treatment of locally advanced adenocarcinoma of the pancreas.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)612-623
Number of pages12
JournalOncologist
Volume11
Issue number6
DOIs
StatePublished - 2006

Fingerprint

Pancreatic Neoplasms
gemcitabine
Neoplasms
Combination Drug Therapy
Fluorouracil
Pancreas
Cause of Death
Adenocarcinoma
Radiotherapy
Therapeutics
Clinical Trials
Radiation
Drug Therapy

Keywords

  • Chemoradiotherapy
  • Locally advanced disease
  • Molecular targeted therapy
  • Pancreatic cancer
  • Surgery

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Cancer Research
  • Hematology

Cite this

Locally advanced pancreatic cancer : Current therapeutic approach. / Cardenes, Higinia R.; Chiorean, Elena G.; DeWitt, John; Schmidt, C.; Loehrer, Patrick.

In: Oncologist, Vol. 11, No. 6, 2006, p. 612-623.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Cardenes, Higinia R. ; Chiorean, Elena G. ; DeWitt, John ; Schmidt, C. ; Loehrer, Patrick. / Locally advanced pancreatic cancer : Current therapeutic approach. In: Oncologist. 2006 ; Vol. 11, No. 6. pp. 612-623.
@article{8a78fc894ae24454a693090c8d5f9199,
title = "Locally advanced pancreatic cancer: Current therapeutic approach",
abstract = "Even though pancreatic cancer accounts for only 2{\%} of all cancer diagnoses in the U.S., it is the fourth-leading cause of cancer death and one of the most difficult malignancies to manage. Because of the usually late onset of symptoms, only 10{\%}-15{\%} of patients present with resectable disease, whereas the remaining 85{\%}-90{\%} present with locally advanced unresectable or metastatic disease. Despite a lack of consistent evidence from previous clinical trials, chemotherapy in addition to radiation therapy is the most commonly used approach in treating locally advanced pancreatic cancer. The most appropriate chemotherapy in combination with radiation is still debatable between 5-fluorouracil and gemcitabine, and novel trends to prevent resistance and enhance efficacy incorporate biologically targeted agents. This paper reviews the current management options, controversies, and ongoing and future directions for the treatment of locally advanced adenocarcinoma of the pancreas.",
keywords = "Chemoradiotherapy, Locally advanced disease, Molecular targeted therapy, Pancreatic cancer, Surgery",
author = "Cardenes, {Higinia R.} and Chiorean, {Elena G.} and John DeWitt and C. Schmidt and Patrick Loehrer",
year = "2006",
doi = "10.1634/theoncologist.11-6-612",
language = "English",
volume = "11",
pages = "612--623",
journal = "Oncologist",
issn = "1083-7159",
publisher = "AlphaMed Press",
number = "6",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Locally advanced pancreatic cancer

T2 - Current therapeutic approach

AU - Cardenes, Higinia R.

AU - Chiorean, Elena G.

AU - DeWitt, John

AU - Schmidt, C.

AU - Loehrer, Patrick

PY - 2006

Y1 - 2006

N2 - Even though pancreatic cancer accounts for only 2% of all cancer diagnoses in the U.S., it is the fourth-leading cause of cancer death and one of the most difficult malignancies to manage. Because of the usually late onset of symptoms, only 10%-15% of patients present with resectable disease, whereas the remaining 85%-90% present with locally advanced unresectable or metastatic disease. Despite a lack of consistent evidence from previous clinical trials, chemotherapy in addition to radiation therapy is the most commonly used approach in treating locally advanced pancreatic cancer. The most appropriate chemotherapy in combination with radiation is still debatable between 5-fluorouracil and gemcitabine, and novel trends to prevent resistance and enhance efficacy incorporate biologically targeted agents. This paper reviews the current management options, controversies, and ongoing and future directions for the treatment of locally advanced adenocarcinoma of the pancreas.

AB - Even though pancreatic cancer accounts for only 2% of all cancer diagnoses in the U.S., it is the fourth-leading cause of cancer death and one of the most difficult malignancies to manage. Because of the usually late onset of symptoms, only 10%-15% of patients present with resectable disease, whereas the remaining 85%-90% present with locally advanced unresectable or metastatic disease. Despite a lack of consistent evidence from previous clinical trials, chemotherapy in addition to radiation therapy is the most commonly used approach in treating locally advanced pancreatic cancer. The most appropriate chemotherapy in combination with radiation is still debatable between 5-fluorouracil and gemcitabine, and novel trends to prevent resistance and enhance efficacy incorporate biologically targeted agents. This paper reviews the current management options, controversies, and ongoing and future directions for the treatment of locally advanced adenocarcinoma of the pancreas.

KW - Chemoradiotherapy

KW - Locally advanced disease

KW - Molecular targeted therapy

KW - Pancreatic cancer

KW - Surgery

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=33745649188&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=33745649188&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1634/theoncologist.11-6-612

DO - 10.1634/theoncologist.11-6-612

M3 - Article

C2 - 16794240

AN - SCOPUS:33745649188

VL - 11

SP - 612

EP - 623

JO - Oncologist

JF - Oncologist

SN - 1083-7159

IS - 6

ER -