Sequential hemibody irradiation integrated into a chemotherapy-local radiotherapy program for limited disease small cell lung cancer

Bayard L. Powell, Don V. Jackson, Charles W. Scarantino, Ellen K. Pope, L. Douglas Case, Robert Choplin, Frederick Richards, Hyman B. Muss, Johnny B. Craig, Julia M. Cruz, Patricia J. Zekan, Renee A. McMahan, Douglas R. White, John J. Stuart, Ralph D. Woodruff, Charles L. Spurr, Robert L. Capizzi

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

5 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Twenty-four patients with limited disease small cell lung cancer (SCLC) were treated with sequential hemibody irradiation (SHB) integrated into a conventional chemotherapy-local radiotherapy (LRT) program. Among 23 evaluable patients, 12 (52%) attained a complete response (CR) and 8 (35%) attained a partial response for an overall major response rate of 87%. The median time since study entry is 29 months. Durations of response are 9.9 months for all patients and 16.5 months for patients who achieved a CR. The primary site was the predominant area of recurrence. The median survival is 13.2 months for all patients and 23.2 months for the 12 patients who attained a CR. Myelosuppression, especially thrombocytopenia, was the major toxicity. Acute radiation toxicities and subacute pneumonitis previously associated with hemibody radiotherapy were well controlled or prevented using the current dose, premedication, and shielding techniques. This integrated program of systemic therapies with SHB and combination chemotherapy plus LRT is feasible for limited disease SCLC; it may prolong survival in patients who attain a CR but compared to similar programs without hemibody irradiation, there was no improvement in overall response rate, response duration, or survival.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)1951-1956
Number of pages6
JournalInternational Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics
Volume12
Issue number11
DOIs
StatePublished - 1986
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Hemibody Irradiation
Small Cell Lung Carcinoma
chemotherapy
lungs
radiation therapy
Radiotherapy
cancer
Drug Therapy
irradiation
Survival
toxicity
Premedication
Combination Drug Therapy
Thrombocytopenia
Pneumonia
entry
Radiation
shielding
therapy
Recurrence

Keywords

  • Half-body irradiation
  • Hemibody irradiation
  • Small cell lung cancer

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Oncology
  • Radiology Nuclear Medicine and imaging
  • Radiation

Cite this

Sequential hemibody irradiation integrated into a chemotherapy-local radiotherapy program for limited disease small cell lung cancer. / Powell, Bayard L.; Jackson, Don V.; Scarantino, Charles W.; Pope, Ellen K.; Case, L. Douglas; Choplin, Robert; Richards, Frederick; Muss, Hyman B.; Craig, Johnny B.; Cruz, Julia M.; Zekan, Patricia J.; McMahan, Renee A.; White, Douglas R.; Stuart, John J.; Woodruff, Ralph D.; Spurr, Charles L.; Capizzi, Robert L.

In: International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, Vol. 12, No. 11, 1986, p. 1951-1956.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Powell, BL, Jackson, DV, Scarantino, CW, Pope, EK, Case, LD, Choplin, R, Richards, F, Muss, HB, Craig, JB, Cruz, JM, Zekan, PJ, McMahan, RA, White, DR, Stuart, JJ, Woodruff, RD, Spurr, CL & Capizzi, RL 1986, 'Sequential hemibody irradiation integrated into a chemotherapy-local radiotherapy program for limited disease small cell lung cancer', International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 12, no. 11, pp. 1951-1956. https://doi.org/10.1016/0360-3016(86)90131-8
Powell, Bayard L. ; Jackson, Don V. ; Scarantino, Charles W. ; Pope, Ellen K. ; Case, L. Douglas ; Choplin, Robert ; Richards, Frederick ; Muss, Hyman B. ; Craig, Johnny B. ; Cruz, Julia M. ; Zekan, Patricia J. ; McMahan, Renee A. ; White, Douglas R. ; Stuart, John J. ; Woodruff, Ralph D. ; Spurr, Charles L. ; Capizzi, Robert L. / Sequential hemibody irradiation integrated into a chemotherapy-local radiotherapy program for limited disease small cell lung cancer. In: International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics. 1986 ; Vol. 12, No. 11. pp. 1951-1956.
@article{d8ccc7c0abe5426cacbc5258ce507e1f,
title = "Sequential hemibody irradiation integrated into a chemotherapy-local radiotherapy program for limited disease small cell lung cancer",
abstract = "Twenty-four patients with limited disease small cell lung cancer (SCLC) were treated with sequential hemibody irradiation (SHB) integrated into a conventional chemotherapy-local radiotherapy (LRT) program. Among 23 evaluable patients, 12 (52{\%}) attained a complete response (CR) and 8 (35{\%}) attained a partial response for an overall major response rate of 87{\%}. The median time since study entry is 29 months. Durations of response are 9.9 months for all patients and 16.5 months for patients who achieved a CR. The primary site was the predominant area of recurrence. The median survival is 13.2 months for all patients and 23.2 months for the 12 patients who attained a CR. Myelosuppression, especially thrombocytopenia, was the major toxicity. Acute radiation toxicities and subacute pneumonitis previously associated with hemibody radiotherapy were well controlled or prevented using the current dose, premedication, and shielding techniques. This integrated program of systemic therapies with SHB and combination chemotherapy plus LRT is feasible for limited disease SCLC; it may prolong survival in patients who attain a CR but compared to similar programs without hemibody irradiation, there was no improvement in overall response rate, response duration, or survival.",
keywords = "Half-body irradiation, Hemibody irradiation, Small cell lung cancer",
author = "Powell, {Bayard L.} and Jackson, {Don V.} and Scarantino, {Charles W.} and Pope, {Ellen K.} and Case, {L. Douglas} and Robert Choplin and Frederick Richards and Muss, {Hyman B.} and Craig, {Johnny B.} and Cruz, {Julia M.} and Zekan, {Patricia J.} and McMahan, {Renee A.} and White, {Douglas R.} and Stuart, {John J.} and Woodruff, {Ralph D.} and Spurr, {Charles L.} and Capizzi, {Robert L.}",
year = "1986",
doi = "10.1016/0360-3016(86)90131-8",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "12",
pages = "1951--1956",
journal = "International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics",
issn = "0360-3016",
publisher = "Elsevier Inc.",
number = "11",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Sequential hemibody irradiation integrated into a chemotherapy-local radiotherapy program for limited disease small cell lung cancer

AU - Powell, Bayard L.

AU - Jackson, Don V.

AU - Scarantino, Charles W.

AU - Pope, Ellen K.

AU - Case, L. Douglas

AU - Choplin, Robert

AU - Richards, Frederick

AU - Muss, Hyman B.

AU - Craig, Johnny B.

AU - Cruz, Julia M.

AU - Zekan, Patricia J.

AU - McMahan, Renee A.

AU - White, Douglas R.

AU - Stuart, John J.

AU - Woodruff, Ralph D.

AU - Spurr, Charles L.

AU - Capizzi, Robert L.

PY - 1986

Y1 - 1986

N2 - Twenty-four patients with limited disease small cell lung cancer (SCLC) were treated with sequential hemibody irradiation (SHB) integrated into a conventional chemotherapy-local radiotherapy (LRT) program. Among 23 evaluable patients, 12 (52%) attained a complete response (CR) and 8 (35%) attained a partial response for an overall major response rate of 87%. The median time since study entry is 29 months. Durations of response are 9.9 months for all patients and 16.5 months for patients who achieved a CR. The primary site was the predominant area of recurrence. The median survival is 13.2 months for all patients and 23.2 months for the 12 patients who attained a CR. Myelosuppression, especially thrombocytopenia, was the major toxicity. Acute radiation toxicities and subacute pneumonitis previously associated with hemibody radiotherapy were well controlled or prevented using the current dose, premedication, and shielding techniques. This integrated program of systemic therapies with SHB and combination chemotherapy plus LRT is feasible for limited disease SCLC; it may prolong survival in patients who attain a CR but compared to similar programs without hemibody irradiation, there was no improvement in overall response rate, response duration, or survival.

AB - Twenty-four patients with limited disease small cell lung cancer (SCLC) were treated with sequential hemibody irradiation (SHB) integrated into a conventional chemotherapy-local radiotherapy (LRT) program. Among 23 evaluable patients, 12 (52%) attained a complete response (CR) and 8 (35%) attained a partial response for an overall major response rate of 87%. The median time since study entry is 29 months. Durations of response are 9.9 months for all patients and 16.5 months for patients who achieved a CR. The primary site was the predominant area of recurrence. The median survival is 13.2 months for all patients and 23.2 months for the 12 patients who attained a CR. Myelosuppression, especially thrombocytopenia, was the major toxicity. Acute radiation toxicities and subacute pneumonitis previously associated with hemibody radiotherapy were well controlled or prevented using the current dose, premedication, and shielding techniques. This integrated program of systemic therapies with SHB and combination chemotherapy plus LRT is feasible for limited disease SCLC; it may prolong survival in patients who attain a CR but compared to similar programs without hemibody irradiation, there was no improvement in overall response rate, response duration, or survival.

KW - Half-body irradiation

KW - Hemibody irradiation

KW - Small cell lung cancer

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0022979549&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0022979549&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1016/0360-3016(86)90131-8

DO - 10.1016/0360-3016(86)90131-8

M3 - Article

C2 - 3021692

AN - SCOPUS:0022979549

VL - 12

SP - 1951

EP - 1956

JO - International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics

JF - International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics

SN - 0360-3016

IS - 11

ER -