Suspected vascular trauma of the extremities

The role of arteriography in proximity injuries

Gerardo A. Gomez, David J. Kreis, Lawrence Ratner, Alejandro Hernandez, Edward Russell, Dennis B. Dove, Joseph M. Civetta

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

65 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

We reviewed 72 patients with penetrating trauma to the extremities who underwent arteriography for proximity injury only. None of the patients had clinical evidence of vascular trauma. There were 62 males and ten females, with a mean age of 29.9 years. Gunshot wounds were the most common cause of injury (91.7%) and the thigh was the most common site of injury (47.2%). A normal arteriogram was found in 55 of 72 patients (76.4%). The remaining 17 patients (23.6%) had artériographie abnormalities that did not warrant surgery. Only one patient was explored (1.4%) for spasm of the popliteal artery. No vascular injury was found at surgery. This study suggests that routine arteriography in proximity injury only may be unnecessary and that these patients could safely be admitted to the hospital for a 24-hour period of observation.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)1005-1008
Number of pages4
JournalJournal of Trauma - Injury, Infection and Critical Care
Volume26
Issue number11
StatePublished - 1986
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Blood Vessels
Angiography
Extremities
Wounds and Injuries
Popliteal Artery
Gunshot Wounds
Vascular System Injuries
Spasm
Thigh
Observation

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Critical Care and Intensive Care Medicine
  • Surgery

Cite this

Gomez, G. A., Kreis, D. J., Ratner, L., Hernandez, A., Russell, E., Dove, D. B., & Civetta, J. M. (1986). Suspected vascular trauma of the extremities: The role of arteriography in proximity injuries. Journal of Trauma - Injury, Infection and Critical Care, 26(11), 1005-1008.

Suspected vascular trauma of the extremities : The role of arteriography in proximity injuries. / Gomez, Gerardo A.; Kreis, David J.; Ratner, Lawrence; Hernandez, Alejandro; Russell, Edward; Dove, Dennis B.; Civetta, Joseph M.

In: Journal of Trauma - Injury, Infection and Critical Care, Vol. 26, No. 11, 1986, p. 1005-1008.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Gomez, GA, Kreis, DJ, Ratner, L, Hernandez, A, Russell, E, Dove, DB & Civetta, JM 1986, 'Suspected vascular trauma of the extremities: The role of arteriography in proximity injuries', Journal of Trauma - Injury, Infection and Critical Care, vol. 26, no. 11, pp. 1005-1008.
Gomez, Gerardo A. ; Kreis, David J. ; Ratner, Lawrence ; Hernandez, Alejandro ; Russell, Edward ; Dove, Dennis B. ; Civetta, Joseph M. / Suspected vascular trauma of the extremities : The role of arteriography in proximity injuries. In: Journal of Trauma - Injury, Infection and Critical Care. 1986 ; Vol. 26, No. 11. pp. 1005-1008.
@article{ad356d261ba64024b4ca487e980a3dd9,
title = "Suspected vascular trauma of the extremities: The role of arteriography in proximity injuries",
abstract = "We reviewed 72 patients with penetrating trauma to the extremities who underwent arteriography for proximity injury only. None of the patients had clinical evidence of vascular trauma. There were 62 males and ten females, with a mean age of 29.9 years. Gunshot wounds were the most common cause of injury (91.7{\%}) and the thigh was the most common site of injury (47.2{\%}). A normal arteriogram was found in 55 of 72 patients (76.4{\%}). The remaining 17 patients (23.6{\%}) had art{\'e}riographie abnormalities that did not warrant surgery. Only one patient was explored (1.4{\%}) for spasm of the popliteal artery. No vascular injury was found at surgery. This study suggests that routine arteriography in proximity injury only may be unnecessary and that these patients could safely be admitted to the hospital for a 24-hour period of observation.",
author = "Gomez, {Gerardo A.} and Kreis, {David J.} and Lawrence Ratner and Alejandro Hernandez and Edward Russell and Dove, {Dennis B.} and Civetta, {Joseph M.}",
year = "1986",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "26",
pages = "1005--1008",
journal = "Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery",
issn = "2163-0755",
publisher = "Lippincott Williams and Wilkins",
number = "11",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Suspected vascular trauma of the extremities

T2 - The role of arteriography in proximity injuries

AU - Gomez, Gerardo A.

AU - Kreis, David J.

AU - Ratner, Lawrence

AU - Hernandez, Alejandro

AU - Russell, Edward

AU - Dove, Dennis B.

AU - Civetta, Joseph M.

PY - 1986

Y1 - 1986

N2 - We reviewed 72 patients with penetrating trauma to the extremities who underwent arteriography for proximity injury only. None of the patients had clinical evidence of vascular trauma. There were 62 males and ten females, with a mean age of 29.9 years. Gunshot wounds were the most common cause of injury (91.7%) and the thigh was the most common site of injury (47.2%). A normal arteriogram was found in 55 of 72 patients (76.4%). The remaining 17 patients (23.6%) had artériographie abnormalities that did not warrant surgery. Only one patient was explored (1.4%) for spasm of the popliteal artery. No vascular injury was found at surgery. This study suggests that routine arteriography in proximity injury only may be unnecessary and that these patients could safely be admitted to the hospital for a 24-hour period of observation.

AB - We reviewed 72 patients with penetrating trauma to the extremities who underwent arteriography for proximity injury only. None of the patients had clinical evidence of vascular trauma. There were 62 males and ten females, with a mean age of 29.9 years. Gunshot wounds were the most common cause of injury (91.7%) and the thigh was the most common site of injury (47.2%). A normal arteriogram was found in 55 of 72 patients (76.4%). The remaining 17 patients (23.6%) had artériographie abnormalities that did not warrant surgery. Only one patient was explored (1.4%) for spasm of the popliteal artery. No vascular injury was found at surgery. This study suggests that routine arteriography in proximity injury only may be unnecessary and that these patients could safely be admitted to the hospital for a 24-hour period of observation.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0022852663&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0022852663&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

VL - 26

SP - 1005

EP - 1008

JO - Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery

JF - Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery

SN - 2163-0755

IS - 11

ER -