Use of the Delphi process in paediatric cataract management

Massimiliano Serafino, Rupal H. Trivedi, Alex V. Levin, M. Edward Wilson, Paolo Nucci, Scott R. Lambert, Ken K. Nischal, David A. Plager, Dominique Bremond-Gignac, Ramesh Kekunnaya, Sachiko Nishina, Nasrin N. Tehrani, Marcelo C. Ventura

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

26 Scopus citations

Abstract

Purpose: To identify areas of consensus and disagreement in the management of paediatric cataract using a modified Delphi approach among individuals recognised for publishing in this field. Design: A modified Delphi method. Participants International paediatric cataract experts with a publishing record in paediatric cataract management. Methods: The process consisted of three rounds of anonymous electronic questionnaires followed by a face-to-face meeting, followed by a fourth anonymous electronic questionnaire. The executive committee created questions to be used for the electronic questionnaires. Questions were designed to have unitbased, multiple choice or true-false answers. The questionnaire included issues related to the preoperative, intraoperative and postoperative management of paediatric cataract. Main outcome measure: Consensus based on 85% of panellists being in agreement for electronic questionnaires or 80% for the face-to-face meeting, and near consensus based on 70%. Results: Sixteen of 22 invited paediatric cataract surgeons agreed to participate. We arrived at consensus or near consensus for 85/108 (78.7%) questions and non-consensus for the remaining 23 (21.3%) questions. Conclusions: Those questions where consensus was not reached highlight areas of either poor evidence or contradicting evidence, and may help investigators identify possible research questions.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)611-615
Number of pages5
JournalBritish Journal of Ophthalmology
Volume100
Issue number5
DOIs
StatePublished - May 2016

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Ophthalmology
  • Sensory Systems
  • Cellular and Molecular Neuroscience

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Use of the Delphi process in paediatric cataract management'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this